Sunday, August 12, 2012

Paris- Episode 3: So much art!

While visiting Paris we made it to four art museums!!Four! And that's not even counting Italy! I can't believe I got Luke to be on board with that, but I think he secretly liked it. :)

Centre Pompidou

If you ever decide to go to Paris for a while and plan on hitting up some of the major touristy spots, I cannot recommend the Paris Museum Pass enough.  Imagine walking into the Louvre and seeing a huge line to buy tickets followed by another huge line to get through security...then you stroll up to the front of both lines, present your pass et voila!  You're in!  Yeah, that saved us so much time and was so worth it!!

The first museum we visited was the Centre Pompidou which was around the corner from our flat and the LDS church.  (We actually got to go to Sacrament meeting which they had a whole room dedicated to English translation of the meeting...so cool!)  The building itself is a work of art!  Its a modern art museum, which I enjoy.  I like to see the creativity of other people's minds and the execution.  The views from the museum were my favorite in Paris.

Pondering the complexities of blue.

View from the Pompidou.


















The Louvre is a MUST if you go to Paris.  It was my absolute favorite place we visited.  It is so big!  And full of so much good stuff!  Napoleon's apartment, the Mona Lisa, Winged Victory, art from ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia and Greece, etc. etc.  I am partial to Greek sculpture and Luke has a soft spot for Michaelangelo.  Again, this place was PACKED with tourists!  Around celebrated works, they had signs posted warning us about pickpockets!  I was definitely hypervigilant about guarding my purse!

Luke at the Louvre.
She was one of my favorites!

Luke and his Michaelangelo.



 The Musée de L'Orangerie did not allow photos inside which was really a shame.  They had Monet's waterlilies which are very long paintings in a kind of circular shaped rooms.  They were gorgeous.  The way they were displayed with the lighting was gorgeous.



Rodin outside of the l'Orangerie.

Musée d'Orsay

The Musée D'Orsay didn't really allow photos inside either.  They had a large collection of Impressionist paintings.  They had an entire room dedicated to Van Gogh and a special exhibit on "Degas et le Nu."

Musée d'Orsay used to be a train station.

No comments:

Post a Comment